The alpine skiing powerhouse will hope that Jon Santacana Maiztegui has recovered enough from an injury earlier in the season to make his mark in Sochi.
• Spain has won 14 gold medals, 14 silver medals and 10 bronze for a total of 38 at the Paralympic Winter Games.
• Spain is one of 13 NPCs to have won more than 200 medals of each colour at the Paralympic Games and Paralympic Winter Games combined: 212 gold, 221 silver, 223 bronze.
• Spain has won all of its 14 gold medals in alpine skiing events. In total it has won 35 of the 38 medals in this sport. It has won the other three (two silver, one bronze) in cross-country skiing.
• Alpine skiing is Spain’s third most successful sport measured in gold medals at the Paralympic Games and Paralympic Winter Games combined after swimming (101) and athletics (74).
• Spain has won a medal in each Paralympic Winter Games after debuting without any medals in 1984.
• Eric Villalon (five gold, three silver, one bronze), Magda Amo (four gold, one silver, one bronze) and Jon Santacana Maiztegui (two gold, two silver, two bronze) are the most successful athletes for Spain at the Paralympic Winter Games.
• Villalon, Amo and Santacana Maiztegui have won medals in three editions.
• Amo is the only Spanish woman to have won four gold medals in alpine skiing in a single edition, in 1998.